Comic Relief have launched their Active Ageing – Creating Change in Communities to engage older people aged 65 and over from ‘harder to reach’ groups to get involved in opportunities which use their skills, knowledge and experience to contribute to their communities. Proposals will need to be put older people at the centre of the work, designing and developing activities or opportunities which meet their needs, interests and priorities.
Registered and un-registered community based organisations and partnerships across the UK can apply for grants of between £40,000 and £80,000 to support projects, initiatives and activities which primarily focus on benefitting older people, specifically those older people who do not usually participate in volunteering or social activities because they are from a disadvantaged community, or face barriers to participation. Comic Relief is also interested in supporting activities which will have a wider benefit for the community in which they are taking place.
To be eligible for funding, projects should:
- Meet at least one of the following outcomes:
- Older people improve their mental health and wellbeing.
- Older people increase the quality and quantity of their social connections.
- Older people develop an enhanced sense of purpose and empowerment.
- Provide creative, fresh approaches to engage beneficiaries in social action activities which bring people together and help to improve their lives and solve problems that are important to their communities. This may include activities around campaigning and fundraising as well as volunteering, all of which can create a double benefit for communities and the older person themselves. For the activities to have positive benefits for the older people involved, they should:
- Provide meaningful roles with opportunities for social interaction and leadership.
- Ensure that older people are recognised and valued for their contribution.
- Make older people feel valued and enable them to be creative and productive. To do this, activities might focus wholly on older people, or use a broader community or intergenerational approach. Applicants must be able to demonstrate that they really understand the needs of their community, the role that older people can play in catalysing social change and make the case that they can deliver.
Comic Relief expects to award grants to between 15 and 25 projects.
The deadline for applications is Tuesday 29 August 2017, midday.
For more information and how to apply please click here.
Other Older People Funds
PwC: ColourBrave CharityFriday October 30th, 2020
As part of the PwC’s commitment to continue to build an inclusive culture and tackle racial inequality, they have recently appointed a committee which will be allocating grants to increase their support for Black-led social enterprises, as well as charities with ethnic minority beneficiaries. PwC is unable to support involvement organisations that are: Political organisations…Covid 19 Older People
Persimmon Community Champions
Persimmon, UK house builders, Community Champions’ funding programme is awarding grants of up £1,000 to community groups and charities that support the over-70s – a vulnerable group in our society that they feel need their support at this time of crisis. Deadline: Continuous rolling programme. For more information and how to apply please click here.Education & Employment Health & Social Care Older People Youth
Kent Community Foundation: Themed Funds
Kent Community Foundation’s Themed Fund programme awards grants of up to £5,000 (£7,500 considered for exceptional applications) to not-for-profit organisations and registered charities with projects in one of the following themed areas: Employment, Skills & EnterpriseProjects which raise the aspirations and increase the skills and opportunities of people who are far from the labour market…Community Buildings/Halls Health & Social Care Older People Sports Youth
Burg-Wächter: Secure Communities Scheme
BURG-WÄCHTER, Europe’s largest safe and post box manufacturer, is awarding up to £1,000 and security products/advice to charities, social enterprise, not for profit and community ventures to help secure their success. Any grassroots project or activity that would benefit most from this scheme are those with a security aspect as well as a funding need.…