The Shackleton Foundation awards seed-funding of up to £10,000 to early-stage social entrepreneurs with the potential to make a real difference to the lives of disadvantaged and socially marginalised young people – just as Sir Ernest Shackleton helped others to overcome their doubts and fears in the face of true adversity.
- be innovative and fresh;
- fulfil a clear need and demand;
- be in the first year of development;
- have a real social impact;
- have well-defined outputs and goals;
- have the potential for real growth and sustainability; and
- benefit young people who are predominantly based in the UK.
Grants are made to individuals (‘Leaders’) rather than to the organisation. The Foundation is looking for:
- Leaders with entrepreneurial ideas/inspirational projects capable of making a difference
- Opportunities to support Leaders setting up their own social ventures with financially sustainable projects with the potential to provide solutions to the problems faced by disadvantaged young people in the UK
- Early-stage ‘social enterprises’ (not more than 12 months old)
- Leaders that they believe have the potential to make their ideas work
- Leadership qualities sought by Trustees include:
Trustees prefer applicants to be running charities, social enterprises or not-for-profit organisations.
Deadline: Continuous rolling programme. Successful first round applicants will be required to present their idea to the Trustees in person in London. Meetings are held quarterly, in late January, early May, mid September and late November.
For more information and how to apply please click here.
Other Youth Funds
Ford Britain Trust: Large GrantsSunday January 31st, 2021 11:59pm
The Ford Britain Trust awards grants of up to £3,000 to: Registered charities; Schools/PTAs (Non-fee paying, state sector schools only. Independent/private; fee paying schools will not be considered); and Non-profit organisations (including small clubs and societies). CICs and individuals are not eligible to apply. Although open to all, the Trust has a particular interest in…Education & Employment Environmental Health & Social Care Youth
Ford Britain Trust: Small GrantsSunday February 28th, 2021 11:59pm
The Ford Britain Trust awards small grants of up to £250 to: Registered charities; Schools/PTAs (Non-fee paying, state sector schools only. Independent/private; fee paying schools will not be considered); and Non-profit organisations (including small clubs and societies). CICs and individuals are not eligible to apply. Although open to all, the Trust has a particular interest…Youth
Tesco: Bags of Help Community Grants
Tesco’s Bags of Help, administrated by Groundwork, awards grants up to £1,000 to charities and community organisations whose projects bring benefits to local residents. During October, November and December 2020 the grant scheme will prioritise projects which are focused on supporting local children and young people. Applications are assessed by Groundwork to ensure they are…Health & Social Care Youth
the7stars Foundation offers three streams of funding: project applications for 16 year olds and under; long term applications for 16 year olds and under; and direct funding for 18 year olds and under. The Foundation prioritises projects that are for those challenged by abuse; addiction; those who are young carers; those who find themselves in…