The Shackleton Foundation awards seed-funding of up to £10,000 to early-stage social entrepreneurs with the potential to make a real difference to the lives of disadvantaged and socially marginalised young people – just as Sir Ernest Shackleton helped others to overcome their doubts and fears in the face of true adversity.
- be innovative and fresh;
- fulfil a clear need and demand;
- be in the first year of development;
- have a real social impact;
- have well-defined outputs and goals;
- have the potential for real growth and sustainability; and
- benefit young people who are predominantly based in the UK.
Grants are made to individuals (‘Leaders’) rather than to the organisation. The Foundation is looking for:
- Leaders with entrepreneurial ideas/inspirational projects capable of making a difference
- Opportunities to support Leaders setting up their own social ventures with financially sustainable projects with the potential to provide solutions to the problems faced by disadvantaged young people in the UK
- Early-stage ‘social enterprises’ (not more than 12 months old)
- Leaders that they believe have the potential to make their ideas work
- Leadership qualities sought by Trustees include:
Trustees prefer applicants to be running charities, social enterprises or not-for-profit organisations.
Deadline: Continuous rolling programme. Successful first round applicants will be required to present their idea to the Trustees in person in London. Meetings are held quarterly, in late January, early May, mid September and late November.
For more information and how to apply please click here.
Other Youth Funds
Comic Relief: Change MakersFriday August 28th, 2020
Comic Relief’s Change Makers programme awards grants of between £150,000 to £600,000 over three to five years to two types of organisation: Small and medium-sized organisations: annual income of between £75,000 and £249,999 who focus on equalities and are user-led. User-led organisations are considered to be those where the majority of the leadership (i.e. at least half of…Health & Social Care Youth
the7stars Foundation offers three streams of funding: project applications for 16 year olds and under; long term applications for 16 year olds and under; and direct funding for 18 year olds and under. The Foundation prioritises projects that are for those challenged by abuse; addiction; those who are young carers; those who find themselves in…Education & Employment Local Grants Youth
Land Securities LINK Fund
The Land Securities LINK Fund awards grants of up to £5,000 to small, local voluntary and community groups and charities in the Swanscombe/Northfleet area. Projects which benefit young people with a focus on NEETS, education and training projects with a focus on addressing employability and homelessness are eligible to apply. Deadline: Continuous rolling programme. For…Local Grants Youth
Albert Burns Children’s Charitable Trust FundMonday November 30th, 2020
The Albert Burns Children’s Charitable Trust Fund awards grants of up to £5,000 to small organisation providing direct support to young people (under 18 years old) in East Kent, in particular Thanet. Deadline: Monday 30 November 2020 For more information and how to apply please click here.