The Climate Action Fund from The National Lottery Community Fund will support communities across the UK to take action on climate change by reducing their carbon footprint. These communities will demonstrate what is possible when people take the lead in tackling climate change by working together, sharing their learning and by being active participants in a broader movement of change.
The National Lottery has set out their funding expectations:
- The amount of funding available per application will depend on what each partnership needs at this stage:
- Applicants who need more time to develop their partnership, engage widely or test their approaches can access initial development funding (up to £200,000 over 18 months)
- Applicants who might be able to start longer-term plans at an earlier stage can access larger, longer-term awards (up to £2.5m over five years)
- Successful applicants will have experience in implementing meaningful action on climate change
- We expect to fund a mix of different places, communities, themes and initiatives, across the UK
- We will use learning from the first round of funding to help shape what happens next and we will test and learn throughout the programme. Further rounds of funding will be available at a later stage.
The National Lottery wishes to see the following in the applications they receive:
- Community-led: Your project will be led and driven by local groups with a deep understanding of local needs. You will have developed your idea by involving the people who will benefit. We want to see that you’ve spoken to people and listened to what they have to say and how you are meaningfully involving the people you’re working with in the development and delivery of your activity.
- Working in partnership: You will be a place-based community-led partnership that brings together a wide range of people and organisations with a shared vision of what local climate change action should look like. Our vision is to support increased collaborative working, which starts with shared goals and values between different organisations and a joint understanding of the bigger picture. Other than voluntary and community organisations, partnerships could include the environmental sector, schools, statutory services, as well as the private sector. We would expect partnerships to include smaller grassroots groups as well as larger organisations. Partnerships will be expected to put in place an agreement as to how they will work together.
- High impact: Our funding will focus on activities that have the potential to make a meaningful and lasting difference on the carbon footprint of communities. This includes action on sustainable energy, sustainable transport, consumption (food and waste), and the natural environment. To make a real difference, projects might need to have an impact on a number of those areas. We are gathering the latest evidence on high-impact climate action, as well as practical examples, to help and inspire places and communities to develop their projects. More information will be added as we progress through the programme.
- Lasting impact: To reduce the impact of climate change, it is important that the changes made are sustainable beyond the funding we might give. Long -term changes in behaviour, ways of working and practices need to be at the core of all local climate action activities. Please also refer to the evidence for more information about this.
- Reach: Partnerships need to engage with people outside of those already taking action on climate change in their local communities, and beyond.
- Learning and engagement: We will expect partnerships to produce and share their learning from the start, regularly, and be active participants in a broader movement of change.
Deadline: Initial ideas must be submitted by Wednesday 18 December 2019, 5pm. Full proposals must be submitted by Friday 27 March 2020, midday.
For more information and how to apply please click here.
Other National Lottery Funds
The National Lottery Community Fund: Climate Action FundWednesday December 18th, 2019
The Climate Action Fund from The National Lottery Community Fund will support communities across the UK to take action on climate change by reducing their carbon footprint. These communities will demonstrate what is possible when people take the lead in tackling climate change by working together, sharing their learning and by being active participants in…National Lottery
The National Lottery Community Fund: Reaching Communities England
The National Lottery Community Fund’s Reaching Communities England awards grants of over £10,000 to charities, voluntary and community groups and social enterprises who want to take action on the issues that matter to people and communities. Applications must demonstrate how your ideas will make positive changes in your community. Current project priorities are: bring people…National Lottery
The National Lottery Community Fund: Partnerships
The National Lottery Community Fund’s Partnerships programme awards grants over £10,000 to charities, voluntary and community groups, social enterprises, schools and town/parish councils who share responsibility and influence with others, who have a shared set of goals and values, and achieve their mission by starting with the bigger picture rather than just what their organisation can do…Arts & Culture National Lottery
Arts Council National Lottery: Project Grants
Arts Council England (ACE) have launched their new Arts Council National Lottery: Project Grants open-access programme offering grants of between £1,000 – £100,000 for arts, museums and libraries projects, replacing Grants for the Arts. The programme sets out to achieve ACE’s mission, ‘great art and culture for everyone’. Project Grants supports a broad range of not-for-profit…