Viridor Credits Environmental Company funds community, heritage and biodiversity projects through the Landfill Communities Fund. They offer three funding schemes in England:
- Small Grants Scheme: up to £20,000.
- Main Grants Scheme: between £20,001-50,000.
- Large Grants Scheme: between £50,001-100,000 (the most competitive scheme).
To be eligible to apply, not-for-profit organisations must be within a ten miles of an active landfill site managed by Viridor (Shelford Landfill, Shalloak Road, Canterbury, Kent CT2 0PU)
Projects that fulfil the following objectives may be eligible for funding:
- the protection of the environment, the provision, maintenance or improvement of public amenities and parks, which are open and accessible to the public;
- the protection of the environment, the enhancement, protection and/or promotion of biological diversity of a species or habitat; and
- the protection of the environment, the maintenance, repair or restoration of a building of historic or architectural interest, and is open and accessible to the public.
However, Viridor Credits Environmental Company prioritises projects that can demonstrate:
- proof of a need and local support for the project; promotion of community participation (volunteering) and partnership approaches;
- environmental sustainability;
- value for money; projects must maximise the benefit of Landfill Communities Fund; and
- self-sustaining and have long-term management plans.
Funds are for capital expenditure only and the applicant must hold the freehold of the project site, or have a minimum of ten years left to run on a lease.
When applying, applicants must include three comparable quotations to ensure that the project can go ahead at the most economical cost. Viridor Credits will use the lowest of the quotations as a basis for awarding funding, regardless of which of the contractors is ultimately selected by the applicant. If funded, Viridor Credits will release funds against completed, agreed works up to the value of the lowest quotation for the works.
Applicants are also required to include in their application who will be making the Contributing Third Party Payment (the equivalent of 10% of any funds awarded) to Viridor Waste Management.
Deadline: Continuous rolling programme.
Other Local Grants Funds
Kent County Council: Crowdfund KentWednesday April 28th, 2021 11:59pm
Kent County Council’s (KCC) new digital funding programme, in partnership with Spacehive, seeks to help fund community-led coronavirus recovery projects across the county in order to become more vibrant, resilient and connected post-pandemic. Alongside registering your organisation with the crowdfunding platform, Spacehive, where any member of the public can donate, Kent organisation’s are also invited…Education & Employment Health & Social Care Local Grants
The Mrs Smith & Mount Trust: The Mount Fund
The Mrs Smith & Mount Trust make grants of up to £20,000 over two years to UK registered charities whose beneficiaries are in Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire, Essex, Kent, Surrey and London. The Trust aims to assist disadvantaged people towards greater independence or a better quality of life. Their current priorities are: Mental Health The…Local Grants Older People
Medway Better Connected Community Chest FundThursday April 15th, 2021 11:59pm
The Medway Better Connected Community Chest Fund, administrated by Kent Community Foundation, makes grants up to £3,000 to local groups/organisations delivering community benefit to people over the age of 65 living in Medway, in order to reduce loneliness and social isolation. Funding can cover virtual or online activities, and priority will be given to those…Local Grants
Canterbury City Council: Councillors Opportunities Fund
Councillors of Canterbury City Council can award up to £200 to a community group or organisation for a one-off project. It must help make the district a better place to live by improving social or environmental wellbeing. Deadline: Continuous rolling programme until annual budget is spent. For more information and how to apply please click here.