Viridor Credits Environmental Company funds community, heritage and biodiversity projects through the Landfill Communities Fund. They offer three funding schemes in England:
- Small Grants Scheme: up to £20,000.
- Main Grants Scheme: between £20,001-50,000.
- Large Grants Scheme: between £50,001-100,000 (the most competitive scheme).
To be eligible to apply, not-for-profit organisations must be within a ten miles of an active landfill site managed by Viridor (Shelford Landfill, Shalloak Road, Canterbury, Kent CT2 0PU)
Projects that fulfil the following objectives may be eligible for funding:
- the protection of the environment, the provision, maintenance or improvement of public amenities and parks, which are open and accessible to the public;
- the protection of the environment, the enhancement, protection and/or promotion of biological diversity of a species or habitat; and
- the protection of the environment, the maintenance, repair or restoration of a building of historic or architectural interest, and is open and accessible to the public.
However, Viridor Credits Environmental Company prioritises projects that can demonstrate:
- proof of a need and local support for the project; promotion of community participation (volunteering) and partnership approaches;
- environmental sustainability;
- value for money; projects must maximise the benefit of Landfill Communities Fund; and
- self-sustaining and have long-term management plans.
Funds are for capital expenditure only and the applicant must hold the freehold of the project site, or have a minimum of ten years left to run on a lease.
When applying, applicants must include three comparable quotations to ensure that the project can go ahead at the most economical cost. Viridor Credits will use the lowest of the quotations as a basis for awarding funding, regardless of which of the contractors is ultimately selected by the applicant. If funded, Viridor Credits will release funds against completed, agreed works up to the value of the lowest quotation for the works.
Applicants are also required to include in their application who will be making the Contributing Third Party Payment (the equivalent of 10% of any funds awarded) to Viridor Waste Management.
Deadline: Continuous rolling programme.
Other Local Grants Funds
Orchard Community Energy: Community FundSaturday October 31st, 2020
Orchard Community Energy’s Community Fund awards grants of between £2,000 and £5,000 to charities from, and benefitting, the Kent districts of Swale and Medway. Projects should be ready to start in January 2021 and must address at least one of the following objectives: wildlife conservation; climate change; mitigation and/or adaption; the alleviation of fuel poverty;…Education & Employment Local Grants Youth
Land Securities LINK Fund
The Land Securities LINK Fund awards grants of up to £5,000 to small, local voluntary and community groups and charities in the Swanscombe/Northfleet area. Projects which benefit young people with a focus on NEETS, education and training projects with a focus on addressing employability and homelessness are eligible to apply. Deadline: Continuous rolling programme. For…Local Grants Youth
Albert Burns Children’s Charitable Trust FundMonday November 30th, 2020
The Albert Burns Children’s Charitable Trust Fund awards grants of up to £5,000 to small organisation providing direct support to young people (under 18 years old) in East Kent, in particular Thanet. Deadline: Monday 30 November 2020 For more information and how to apply please click here.Local Grants
Medway Corporate Giving Fund
The Medway Corporate Giving Fund awards grants of up to £3,500 to innovative Medway-based projects which make a real difference in the local community and help those most in need. Charities will be given the opportunity to present their project to a panel of local businesses. Deadline: Continuous rolling programme. Decisions are made twice per year.…